The land on which the Hall now stands was purchased from The Hereford
& Tredegar Brewery Ltd for £50. The Welfare association (The village
Hall Committee of their day) did not have sufficient funds to build
the Hall but, they persuaded the National Council of Social Services
to build it for them, but the hall was then rented to the Welfare
24 September 1955
The Hall was opened by D. Lloyd Jones Esq. High Sheriff of Brecknockshire.
The Welfare Association purchased the Hall from the National Council
of Social Services for £700.
1965 - 1997
The Hall was used for many events including Whist Drives, dances and
the WI. Although the Hall was still used for many activities the popularity
of the Hall had declined, and the building deteriorated.
Monmouthshire County Council carried out a survey and for renovation
a quote of £47,000 was obtained. The commitee which was in office
at the time applied for a Lottery Grant but was not successful.
A new Commitee was elected and they set about raising the necessary
funds to renovate the Hall. With the help of Monmouthshire County
Council a grant of £23,500 was obtained from The Welsh European Programme
Executive. Monmouthshire County Council gave £17,500 and the Hall
Commitee raised approximately £9,000.
During 1999 and 2000 The Hall Commitee organised car boot sales, cheese
and wine parties, coach trips, and other fund raising events to help
raise the necessary funds. By May 2000 the cost of the renovation
work had increased to over £50,000 and the Hall Committee had to cover
the increased cost. Monmouthshire CountyCouncil also wanted to enlarge
the Library so the Committee and the Council cooperated and this was
acheived in May 2000.
The Refurbished Hall and Library Opened.
The Village Hall and Library extension had been completed and IT equipment
was installed in the Library giving many benefits to the library and
bringing the Library right up to date.
Many thanks to Mr Brian Moss